Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sci-Fi Convention: MediaWest*Con

Getting ready for the MediaWest*Con sci-fi convention later this week has led me to a couple of conclusions.

First---I'm really terrible at marketing. While writing is fun---and composing posters and note cards from photos and pictures is quite engaging---trying to find "clever" ways to market myself is for the birds. I hate puffing myself up---and it's frightening to face the prospect that, in the end, nobody will care. And that's really all marketing is.

On the other hand, the sci-fi show could be a lot of fun. I've never been to one before---much less participated with a booth---and I think we have a lot of fun and interesting stuff to offer. Besides my books, we have some rather stunning posters of the heavens, and notecards and posters from outer space as well as Planet Earth.

In the end, I'm kind of looking forward to it...though I really wish there were another way.

JEFFREY CAMINSKY, a veteran public prosecutor in Detroit, Michigan, specializes in the appellate practice of criminal law and writes on a wide range of topics. His books include the science fiction adventure novel The Star Dancers, the exciting second volume in the Guardians of Peace-tm series, The Sonnets of William Shakespeare, and the acclaimed Referee’s Survival Guide, a book on soccer officiating. All are published by New Alexandria Press, and are available on Amazon, as well as directly from the publisher.

No comments: