Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Fannish Frontier

I did a book appearance this weekend. Actually, it was a "book and notecards...well, and posters, too" appearance, at the MediaWest*Con convention in Lansing.

The event highlighted "fandom" from various formats---television, movies, books, and the like---and in various forms. I was the only author set up in the "dealer's room," and felt mildly out of place amid the "fan-zines" and some of the other Fandom Parephernalia, but the group was a friendly one, and I managed to sell quite a lot of stuff---including a half-dozen or so posters, several dozen notecards, and twenty of my books.

The experience was actually rather encouraging. I suspect my books and artwork might do better in a slightly different format---perhaps one more dedicated to space and science (though the floral and landscape cards sold well, and might do quite well at a local art fair). But the results were enough to make me look forward to the next outing, which will probably be at the Farmington Founder's Fair, or some other local arts and crafts show.

The only disappointment was that a friend who'd agreed to help man the table flaked out on me; but that was more than made up for by my wife's pitching in to help for part of the weekend---and my own discovery that I really didn't need the help in the first place.

JEFFREY CAMINSKY, a veteran public prosecutor in Detroit, Michigan, specializes in the appellate practice of criminal law and writes on a wide range of topics. His books include the science fiction adventure novel The Star Dancers, the exciting second volume in the Guardians of Peace-tm series, The Sonnets of William Shakespeare, and the acclaimed Referee’s Survival Guide, a book on soccer officiating. All are published by New Alexandria Press, and are available on Amazon, as well as directly from the publisher.

No comments: