Monday, May 25, 2009

The 2009 Caminsky Open

I have seen a lot of changes this year: retirement that came from nowhere; a plummeting economy; new books that need marketing---leading to a host of new adventures.

Some things, though, never change: I still can't golf very well; but it's still nice to get together with my dad and brother to try.

We started the 2009 version of the "Caminsky Open" today, with my dad and brother Chris dragging me out at the crack of dawn on a holiday, to play our first round of the season at Livonia's Fox Creek Golf Course. I also got to break in my new set of clubs---a nice set of last-year's clubs that I got at a season-opening discount at one of the local golf stores.

Chris says that the clubs are "can't miss" and "highly forgiving"...though I certainly missed my share today. But I really can't complain: between the "forgiving" clubs, and our generous Caminsky Open Rules---unlimited Mulligans, discretionary adjustments on the lie (eg: if God had really wanted me to hit from there, He wouldn't have put a tree in the way), and penalty strokes optional---I managed an opening round 48 (for nine holes; actually, all three of us shot 48s. We think; Chris forgot to record several of the holes, so we recreated the scores for those holes from memory...which, being imperfect, had a margin of error of a couple strokes per hole).

And thus begins this year's Caminsky open....

JEFFREY CAMINSKY, a veteran public prosecutor in Detroit, Michigan, specializes in the appellate practice of criminal law and writes on a wide range of topics. His books include the science fiction adventure novel The Star Dancers, the exciting second volume in the Guardians of Peace-tm series, The Sonnets of William Shakespeare, and the acclaimed Referee’s Survival Guide, a book on soccer officiating. All are published by New Alexandria Press, and are available on Amazon, as well as directly from the publisher.

No comments: