Sunday, September 27, 2009

Voices from the Past

I attended my 40th high school reunion last night...at the lovely Howell spread of Jim Draffen, one of our classmates. His "Rockin D" Ranch was a magnificent venue...and it was one of the nicest reunions we've ever had. It was very touching to see so many faces from the past...see how they've changed, how life has treated them, and how we've all learned so much through the years.

Among the things I leared was that I was one of a handful of kids who actually liked high school. I suspect it may have been because I was so terrified of girls: I had music, and sports, and books, and studies to occupy my mind instead of teenaged angst and the various "coming of age" crises. And, it seems, I was blessed by an unusually gifted set of teachers---experiences which, it seems, not all of my classmates shared.

Too bad we can't all press "reset," take a Mulligan, and have another go. Maybe, just maybe, we'd get it right this time.

JEFFREY CAMINSKY, a veteran public prosecutor in Detroit, Michigan, specializes in the appellate practice of criminal law and writes on a wide range of topics. His books include the science fiction adventure novel The Star Dancers, the exciting second volume in the Guardians of Peace-tm series, The Sonnets of William Shakespeare, and the acclaimed Referee’s Survival Guide, a book on soccer officiating. All are published by New Alexandria Press, and are available on Amazon, as well as directly from the publisher.

No comments: